Almost everyone struggles with paper! Use these paper organizing resources to help you get a grip on the paper and email in your life.
STOP the junk mail!
- http://www.optoutprescreen.com – The official Consumer Credit Reporting Industry website to accept and process requests from consumers to Opt-In or Opt-Out of firm offers for credit or insurance. Stop receiving credit card offers for 5 YEARS! You can also call the Opt Out request line: 888-567-8688
- http://www.dmachoice.org – Stop getting the mail you don’t want and start getting the mail you do want. Reducing the amount of mail you receive will free up your time and your clutter!
- http://www.catalogchoice.org – cancel catalogs you get in the mail.
- http://www.unroll.com – Simplify you email inbox all in one place by unsubscribing from emails subscriptions.
What papers do I keep and for how long?
These paper retention guides will help you decide what you need to keep and for how long.
- Suze Orman
- Dave Ramsey
- Business Document Retention Best Practices and State Guidelines
- IRS Small Business or Self Employed
- Ask your accountant.
Protect your ID.
- Guard Your ID Stamp – Instead of shredding every address and document use this stamp to quickly guard your ID.
3 Tools to Organize Paper.
- The Inbox.
- The Action File.
- The File Cabinet
The best hanging files
Desktop file box OR at The Container Store’s file boxes
Plastic File Tote (portable)
3 How Questions.
- Tracy’s_3_HOW_Questions PDF. (Learn more here.)
- How can I get rid of this paper? (shred, recycle, out/others, etc)
- How can I get this done on time? (Do it now if it will take 2 minutes or less. Temporary and action papers use the Action File.)
- How can I find this when I need it? (Use the File Cabinet. Use broad file names.)
Tracy’s (old) video series to help you keep your paper organized.