Something that I am hearing a lot lately is thinking that you are “behind.”
Have you ever thought:
- I am behind.
- I should be further along.
- I shouldn’t be at this point.
- I wish I were further along.
- I wish I wasn’t behind.
- I shouldn’t be here.
So, what do we do with these thoughts?
Just the other day one of the ladies in Organized Life Academy was talking about how she was reading a book and it was really making her think about how she shouldn’t be where she is. It made her think that she should have less stuff and should have gotten rid of more stuff.
Another lady, one of my coaching clients, was just talking about how much progress she’s making. But even in that success, her brain thinks, “I shouldn’t have gotten this bad. I shouldn’t have let it get like this.”
Here are three ways to change your thinking when you feel “BEHIND”.
1. Recognize these negative thoughts.
Identify that you are thinking in this way and realize that “being behind” or thinking that you should be further along – is a TOTALLY MADE-UP CONCEPT in your brain.
Take a moment to just think about that.
It’s totally made up.
Isn’t that interesting.
What if instead, you replaced those thoughts with these alternatives instead:
Thoughts that are just as valid, just as available to us:
- We are never “behind.”
- We never “should be” further along.
Here are some additional alternative thoughts to change your thinking…
- I’m exactly where I should be.
- I shouldn’t be further along and I’m not behind.
- I’m right where I should be right now.
Even, as I’m saying it, notice the difference. These thoughts give me a feeling of peace.
I can finally relax and just be where I am.
Acceptance is a state of being. I love thinking that. Accepting where you are is a state of being. That means we choose to be in that state and it feels good to just finally accept it and not be mad at yourself for where you are. Not always thinking you should be different than what you are in this moment and just enjoying that.
How do we know that we shouldn’t be further along?
Because we are not.
I know this kind of makes your mind go, “Hold on, wait a minute! What?”
How do we know that we shouldn’t be further along? Because we’re not.
If we ‘should have’ been further along, we would be.
2. Accept what is.
We are where we are.
Acceptance is a state of being. Just accept where you are.
When you think about it, you can go in to make your brain find the reasons why you should be exactly where you are. Maybe it’s because:
- You had some health issues.
- Family members had health issues or passed away.
- You had changes in your life: you moved or you got a new job or you had a baby.
- You watch a lot of TV. Totally fine.
That’s why you are where you are right now.
Any of those things are reasons why you are exactly where you’re supposed to be.
If you think about it, you can make your brain prove that’s why you are where you are… and that’s okay.
You can choose to think, “There is no such thing as ‘being behind.’ I’m right where I should be.”
3. You get to decide on your next step.
Once you recognize your thoughts, accept that it’s okay – this is where you are. Then you get to decide what you want to do about it.
Decide what the next step is… and then do that.
Break it down. Make it a simple plan that you are capable of taking, and then take that step.
- Schedule 15 minutes every other day to organize one drawer in the kitchen.
- Set the timer to 10 minutes and see if you can clear off the counter before the timer goes off.
- Squeegee the shower every time you get out of the shower (to prevent mold, mildew, and water spots). See how many days in a row you can keep this going. Then start again if you miss a day. (Hey, our kids have ‘Snapchat Streaks’, why can’t we have ‘Squeegee Streaks’! Our youngest daughter has a 256-day streak with her sister! 😊 Ha!)
- Hire an organizer to give you accountability, a plan, and encouragement. 🔥
I know when I talk to clients and teach them this concept, it takes some time to develop this new way of thinking.
Follow these above three important ways to change your thinking when you feel “BEHIND.”
You’re not further along because you’re not supposed to be. This is where you are. Now, what will you do?
You are invited to join Organized Life Academy. We are taking things step-by-step, breaking them down, and organizing 📍 small parts of our life.
Each month, we’re learning the tools, we’re developing this new way of thinking, and we’re getting better and better at it as we work on our mindset. So join us in Organized Life Academy. I will see you there.
Leave a comment with any questions that come up about this concept. Anything that you struggle with when it comes to changing your mindset.
Have an amazing day. Remember, you are exactly where you are supposed to be!